The five most reliable cars
The ultimate test of a car, is how reliable it is, and if we’re honest, no amount of great styling or fancy gadgets can replace the importance of having a car you can depend on.
Thankfully, there’s a wealth of information to help us make the right decision when choosing our next car – here’s a rundown of the most reliable used and new cars by class.
Motorists are spoilt for choice when it comes to sports utility vehicles – or SUVs. Their appeal often lies in the fact that they’re robust and combine practicalities such as space and efficiency, with good looks – here’s what’s on offer:
- • Honda CR-V Mk 4, this takes the crown with the CR-V scoring more than 90% in customer satisfaction, reliability and quality in the Auto Express Driver Power survey.
• Other popular and reliable SUVs include: Toyota Rav 4 Mk 4, Skoda Yeti Mk 1, and the Kia Sportage Mk3
Great for families (and dogs) with lots of room in the boot, these are a staple on UK roads:
- • Skoda Superb Mk 3 when it comes to looking at the most reliable used cars on the market, this takes the top spot based on space, economy and reliability.
• Another great performer is the Mercedes E class, although it comes with a hefty price tag, it combines quality engineering as well as refined styling and sleek looks.
Super minis and city cars
Nippy little run-arounds are some of the most popular choices in our cities, offering a practical means of getting around those built-up urban streets:
- • Honda Jazz – Honda again take the top spot, this time in the super mini category with the Jazz. Only 9% of owners questioned in the Driver Power survey said they’d had to take theirs in to a garage for repairs.
• Other key players in the city car market, include the Volkswagen Up, the Dacia Sandero Mk 2, and the Hyundai i10.
Still a family favourite, with back seats that often fold down; hatchbacks are neat and practical; top picks include:
- • Toyota Auris – one of the most reliable cars on the market, as well as one of the most economical in its class, it also comes with a five-year warranty; so, if you’re buying pre-loved, then you stand a good chance of finding one with a manufacturer’s warranty.
• Other contenders include, the SEAT Leon, Ford Focus, and the Vauxhall Astra.
Saloons aren’t as popular as they used to be, but they’re still a practical choice – they traditionally have more space in the back than hatchbacks and the separation between boot and back seats means they’re often quieter for passengers:
- • Lexus IS if you’re looking for a used car, then this takes pole position for most reliable used saloon with less than 10% of owners experiencing faults.
• Also worth considering are: Jaguar XF, BMW 5 series, and the Audi A4
Finding best value car insurance with mustard.co.uk
While we all have different ideas about the ideal car, most of us will agree that getting value for money on our car insurance, is a priority; which is why we’re proud to have our Cheapest Price Guarantee.
We’ll try and beat any like for like quote* so that you don’t have to compromise between protection and value – because we know that having the right car insurance is just as important as finding the right car.