Weekly car insurance
When we think of car insurance, we don’t often think of short term cover but if you only need a car temporarily, it can be the most cost-effective solution – so here’s our guide to finding the best one-week car insurance from some of the UK’s leading insurers.
Who needs weekly car insurance?
Most of us think of car cover as an annual commitment, but there are instances where 1 week’s car insurance is all you need. Perhaps you’re borrowing a friend’s car, or looking after it for a few days; or maybe you’re off on holiday and taking someone else’s car. You might even be in the middle of moving and need to insure yourself on a van to transport all your worldly goods.
But just because you only need cover for a very short period of time, it doesn’t mean you want to skimp on what’s important. Just as with any car insurance policy you take out, it’s worth considering:
• Flexibility – search for a policy that gives you the flexibility you need, whether you just need cover for 24 hours, a week, or a month
• Location – if you’re borrowing a car to go abroad, make sure you’re covered for where you’re going
• Breakdown cover – accidents or car trouble can happen at any time, even if you’re only using a car for a few days – so make sure your policy includes breakdown recovery
• Damage and theft – temporary policies can also protect you against theft as well as malicious damage
• Helpline – is there a 24-hour helpline available?
Are there any age restrictions?
Young drivers under 18, may find it trickier to find weekly cover as insurers with one-week car insurance policies tend to have age minimums of 18, 19, and in some cases, 21; finding cover for under-18s isn’t impossible though, it really is just a question of searching for the right quote.
What are my other options?
You could consider adding yourself as a named driver to a family, or partner’s existing policy – depending on your combined age or experience, which could work out as a better option.
If you’re looking for a short term policy because you own a classic car and only use it very occasionally, it’s worth looking at policies aimed specifically for those types of vehicles, as you may find features better suited to older, specialist cars.
Why should I compare with mustard.co.uk?
Great service doesn’t have to come with a hefty price tag, which is why we have our Cheapest Price Guarantee*, so if you find a cheaper like for like quote anywhere else online, we’ll do our very best to try and beat it. And if you’ve got any questions about short term cover, you can actually pick up the phone and give us a call – our experts are on hand to help.