Car and driving details you need to update when you move house

Posted by on April 19th, 2016

Anyone who has moved house will have been told that it’s the most stressful thing you can do in life.

Anyone who has moved house can confirm that as far as old sayings go, that one is on the money.

It’s expensive and tiring, lengthy and exciting, all at once, which is why certain details often get forgotten about, especially when it comes to motoring.

What details do I need to update when I move house?

Obviously, this is, a car insurance comparison website, so we’re not going to run you through utility bills or your TV, instead we’re going to focus on the motoring side of things.

Your insurance provider

Informing your insurer of a change of address is very important because if you don’t and you need to make a claim, your insurer may refuse to pay out.

Insurers use lots of different factors to calculate the cost of your car insurance and your address is one of the most important in the process.

And that’s why you need to inform your insurer as soon as possible, even if you haven’t moved in yet, so that you do not run the risk.

The costs involved

Insurers usually charge an administration fee to change small details on your policy.

They can be anything but they’re usually around £25 or less and your insurer always sets them out in their terms and conditions (the things you should read before you buy!).

£25 may sound expensive but it’s fairly cheap when compared to the alternative.


Potential penalties

An insurer can refuse to pay out on an insurance claim if your details are incorrect. That means you could be forced to foot the bill of whatever it is you are making a claim for.

Your insurer will calculate your insurance cost based on your new address and alter your premium based on the new risk. This may mean that an additional premium or refund may be due.

If you refuse to pay this new premium, your insurer can cancel your policy.

The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA)

The DVLA is the Government branch that is responsible for maintaining the database of drivers and vehicles in the UK.

That’s why it’s important that you update the DVLA with any change of address.

What do I need to update through the DVLA?

When you change address you need to update your driving licence and your vehicle registration (V5C) through the DVLA.

Your driving licence

You can change the address on your driving licence free of charge with the DVLA.

It’s important to update your driving licence as and when you change your details, not least because it could cost you £1,000 in fines if you are asked to produce your driving licence by police.

How to change the address on your driving licence

You can change the address on your driving licence online or by post with the DVLA.

Online, you need a Government Gateway ID to apply and it takes about 15 minutes to get through the process, at the end of which, you need to cut your driving licence in two and return it to the DVLA in Swansea.

Did you know? It’s illegal to hold two driving licences in the UK

By post, you need to complete a D741 form and send it to the DVLA along with your driving licence.

The D741 form comes with your driving licence but a replacement can be found online.


Your vehicle registration (V5C)

You’d think that you’d only need to inform the DVLA once of a change of address but that’s not true.

Updating the address on your driving licence does not automatically update the address on your vehicle registration, so you need to do that separately.

The reason you need to do this is that your vehicle tax renewal letter will be sent to the wrong address if you do not.

All you need to do is complete section 6 on the V5C, sign and date the declaration in section 8 and then send the whole V5C to the DVLA. You’ll receive your new V5C for free within four weeks usually.

If you’ve lost your V5C, it will cost you £25 to get a replacement and you’ll need to complete a V62 to tell the DVLA your address has changed.

Inform any add on product providers

Lots of UK motorists take out things like Breakdown Cover to protect them against unintentional mishaps when out and about on the road.

If you have any extra services, like Breakdown Cover, not provided by your insurer, then you need to tell them of your change of address.

So there you have it, an outline of the details you need to update when you change address and move house.