Some of the insurance companies we work with

What does goods in transit (GIT) insurance cover?

If you regularly transport tools, equipment, parcels, or materials in your van for work – then goods in transit insurance will cover you in case they’re stolen, lost, or damaged when you’re out and about.

Goods in transit policies are usually bought in addition to van insurance and are usually split into two categories:

  • Carriage of own goods – you’d fall into this group if you’re carrying goods or tools that belong to you in relation to your work
  • Haulage – this would apply to you if the cargo you’re carrying belongs to other people and you’re simply transporting the goods – if you’re a courier, for example

While not required by law, most customers and clients would insist on GIT insurance, so it would be impossible to win any business contracts without it.

Call us on 0330 022 5970 for a quote over the phone

Who might need goods in transit (GIT) cover?

A GIT policy could cover any of the following businesses or situations where goods have been contracted to move from one location to another:

  • Courier drivers who are self employed
  • Hauliers working for online retailers
  • Man and Van drivers
  • Removal contractors
  • Car Transporters
  • Vehicle recovery businesses
  • Haulage Vehicles
  • One-off house moves

We’re proud of the fact that we have an alternative to online forms, when it comes to comparing insurance quotes; it’s another way that you can save money. Call 0330 022 8825.


What does goods in transit insurance cover?

Goods in transit insurance will provide compensation if the items you’re carrying are lost, damaged or stolen while you’re out and about.

Bear in mind that GIT insurance will vary according to the insurer’s own terms. As well as covering risks like damage and theft, some policies will also cover delayed delivery.

Don’t forget that your policy will have a limit on how much you can claim so if you’re transporting anything particularly expensive, let your insurer know. If the value of the item is more than the policy’s limit, they may be able to increase the level of cover or offer you an alternative option.


Do you need goods in transit insurance?

You’re not legally required to have goods in transit cover. However, if you’re a courier or own a delivery company, customers will expect you to have appropriate GIT insurance.


Who might need goods in transit cover?

If you parcels, materials or transport goods, GIT cover is likely to be an essential part of your overall business van insurance policy. Examples of the types of businesses or scenarios where you’ll need GIT cover, include:

  • Self-employed couriers
  • Hauliers
  • Removals firms (or self-employed ‘man with a van’ businesses)
  • Car transporters
  • Vehicle recovery firms
  • House moves if you’re doing it yourself and not hiring a removals firm.


Search for business van insurance

If you rely on your car or van for work, it’s vital to make sure that your vehicle insurance meets your needs. If it doesn’t, it could leave you facing expensive repair or compensation costs if you have an accident or items are stolen.

The good news is that at, we’ve made it easy to search for great value business van and business car insurance. Our panel includes some of the UK’s leading insurers, so we’re confident you’ll be able to find a policy that suits both your needs and your budget. Plus, our handy van insurance guides and jargon buster are here to help you make better informed choices.

Simply start your search online or call an expert member of the team on 0330 022 8825.

Goods in Transit FAQs

What should I consider for GIT insurance?

The policy you choose should really meet your needs. If you don’t have enough insurance, it’ll be up to you to make up the shortfall. On the other hand, over insuring means you’ll pay a higher premium. So, here’s what to consider:

  • Be clear about what is being covered – most goods in transit policies will cover you for loss, theft and damage, but check to see if any limits or restrictions apply. For example, do you need to leave the goods locked up in your vehicle overnight?
  • Helplines – accidents can happen at any time so look for helplines available seven days a week, 365 days a year.
  • Level of cover – this is the maximum amount of money you can claim so check it’s enough to cover your needs, but not excessive.
  • Excess – different policies will have different compulsory and voluntary excesses, if budget’s a concern, then compare what’s on offer. Paying a higher excess might reduce your premium.
  • New for old – not all insurers offer new for old, but it means that if you make a claim for stolen or damaged products, you’ll get brand new replacements or the equivalent value. However, choosing a policy that gives you new for old can push up your premium.

How much does goods in transit insurance cost?

Cost will depend on your own circumstances and insurers will calculate your policy based on a number of factors, including:

  • The type and size of your business.
  • The level of cover you need.
  • Where your business is located.
  • The features you choose (for example, if you opt for new for old).
  • The type of van you have and the items you carry.

Always make sure your answers are as accurate as possible. Missing something can be classed as non-disclosure which could invalidate your policy (and means your insurer can refuse to pay out).

Do I need public liability cover?

Public liability insurance covers the cost of claims made by members of the public for incidents that occur in connection with your business activities. It’s not something you need by law but for many businesses, it’s another critical component in their overall business insurance plan that can help minimise financial losses if events take an unexpected turn.

Some business van insurance policies include public liability (and employers’ liability insurance) but others don’t. If it’s something you need, speak to your insurer who’ll be able to take you through your options.

What type of van can I get business van insurance for?

You can buy business van insurance for a wide range of different vehicles. Whether you’ve got a pick-up, horse box or just a regular lightweight commercial vehicle, there should be a policy to suit you.

What’s the benefit of getting insurance quotes over the phone?

Speaking to an expert means you can be confident about getting a policy that’s really tailored to your needs – giving you the assurance and peace of mind to carry on with business as usual. Call 0330 022 8825. Car Insurance Reviews

Take a look at our genuine customer reviews