Van speed limits explained
If you drive a van, then you’ll probably know that speed limits for vans and cars aren’t always the same. If you drive a van and didn’t know that, then this is the guide for you – here, we’ll explain exactly what the legal limits are for the vehicle you drive.
Types of van
Van speed limits are typically lower than speed limits for cars on single and dual carriageways (10mph less).
Whether your van is subject to the lower limit depends on what it is, its purpose and its weight – here’s how to identify the sort of van you have:
- • Car derived van (CDV) – these are vans that are built on the same basic design as cars and shouldn’t weigh more than two tonnes when fully loaded; examples include the Ford Fiesta van and the Vauxhall Corsa van. If in doubt, check your log book (V5C); it’ll specify ‘CDV’ under the heading ‘body type’.
- • Dual-purpose vehicle – these are designed to carry both goods and passengers, and should weigh no more than 2,040kg (unladen). They also need to meet certain criteria and have either 4×4 capability; or, have a rigid roof with more than one row of seats, have side and rear windows and the passenger and stowage areas need to meet a minimum ratio.
- • Pickup – by the nature of their design, most pickups will be categorised as a dual-purpose vehicle. It’s not dual-purpose if it has a single cab and doesn’t have 4×4 capability.
- • Double cab vans – these can qualify as dual-purpose vehicles as long as they meet the criteria.
- • Camper vans – only the Mercedes Marco Polo and the VW California qualify as camper vans in the UK.
- • Vans weighing 3.5 tonnes and 7.5 tonnes – the weight limits refer to the gross vehicle weight (GVW); by law, these vehicles should be fitted with a speed limiter.
So, what’s the speed limit for my van?
Needless to say, all vehicles should obey any specific limits set out in areas – such as 20mph outside schools or restricted speed zones on the motorway.
Otherwise, the speed limit for vans needs to be appropriate to their category – here are the current limitations:
|Vehicle type||Built up areas (mph)||Single carriageways (mph)||Dual carriageways (mph)||Motorways (mph)|
|Cars, car derived vans (CDVs), dual-purpose vehicles, camper vans||30||60||70||70|
|Cars, car derived vans (CDVs), and dual-purpose vehicles, if towing trailers or caravans||30||50||60||60|
|All other vans weighing no more than 7.5 tonnes (laden)||30||50||60||70 (60 if articulated or towing a trailer)|
Getting great value van insurance at mustard.co.uk
At mustard.co.uk, we appreciate that there’s a lot to think about when it comes to sorting out your van insurance; but our no-nonsense guides can help make life a little bit easier.
So, whether you want to find out about the different types of van insurance, or just want all the jargon explained – we’ve got the answers. Plus, our Cheapest Price Guarantee* means you can be confident about getting real value for money.
Who is mustard?
We are experts in insurance comparison, dedicated to helping you compare quotes online quickly and easily.
We search quotes from some of the UK’s leading insurance providers to help you find the right policy for you at a price to suit your budget.
Don’t just take our word for it, take a look at some of our van insurance comparison reviews.